Friday, October 06, 2006

My Sock Drawer Exploded

Whoops!



Sorry about the dark picture. I did do some editing but I guess something didn't get saved. I'm still trying to figure out how Photoshop works! I also wanted to get a bit more creative, but I had to take the picture before little hands took off with all of them.

Since I don't have very interesting progress shots to dazzle everyone with, I thought I'd distract you with Socktoberfest activities.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
My interest in socks started early in '04 when a friend mentioned she was crocheting a pair. I bought some Lion Brand Magic Stripes and proceeded to knit an entire sock before discovering the dang thing didn't fit my foot. Stupid gauge.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first real pair was knit in April/May of that year during our move to Germany. I used a pattern I found on the internet that I now forget which. The yarn was Plymouth and I still wear them although they are a bit snug in the toes.

What would you have done differently?
Nothing. Those first few pairs that I made were learning experiences. Gauge, fit, yarn content and stitch preferences would never had been learned without some goofs.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Almost every one. All sock yarns have a place in my drawer. Some are gorgeous and some are durable. Some I can even wear with sneakers without looking silly and being too warm.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
5 dpns are the best! I've tried Magic Loop and 2 circulars only to be miserable. I can't keep track of those long needles hanging about and usually end up screwing up royally. I have started a crocheted pair but I'm afraid they're off to the frog pond. First I misplaced the sock for a month or two and now I can't find my notes. I'll probably try again at a later date.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
For most socks I prefer a flap solely based on how they fit. But I like to mix it up and use short rows when the sock dictates that.

How many pairs have you made?
Oh, good question. I've got 25 in the picture, 4 in the wash, 2 for the hubster, 3 for Reilly, and 5 or 6 as gifts. Plus there's the pair that the laundry room ate one of. So, that's over 40. Goodness!

Have a great weekend! Me, I'll be nursing three kids back to health, along with myself. Hopefully I'll have something more interesting next week.