Saturday, August 28, 2004

Too Kool

Spent the morning playing around with some more dyeing. Here's some pictures of what I did.


Sock Yarns Posted by Hello

The two skeins on the left (yes there are two there) were done with the boiling method with white yarn. I used two packets each of Black Cherry, Cherry and Grape. I added only a third of skein at a time every ten minutes to produce a gradation effect. Pretty cool. The two skeins on the right I used the dip and microwave method. I used Cherry and Watermelon Cherry on top of a beige yarn. Not too impressed with this two. I can still see the beige peeking through. Will probably overdye these with more Cherry once they dry. Was going to do green with one of the socks, but forgot to pick up Lemonade to mix with the Berry Blue and just couldn't wait. I'll go back to the store next week and pick up some more yarn. It's only about 3dollars a ball, so it's not too bad. Besides with the way I'm going with socks, I'll need more soon anyways.


Second Attempt at Blue Posted by Hello

The one on the left is from yesterday. For the right I tried tea dyeing the yarn first to produce a darker base yarn. Then I did exactly the same with as the other. The result is a deeper teal color. Still not happy. I wonder what would happen if I use food coloring on top of it. Hmm. Overall, this has been a great experience. I'm having so much fun with it! I'd actually like to try my hand at some real dyes, but I think I'll put that off for now. I hear some of the dyes are quite toxic, so it'll have to wait until after the baby is born. Plus, they're ripping my balcony off and redoing it so I can't do this stuff until it's done anyway.