Thursday, April 14, 2005

Stripes

I finally found some time (I kinda stole it) to experiment with dyeing. I know that in order to do stripes, they say to wind an extremely long skein. Well, I don't have that kind of room in my house! So, I thought up of another way to do it.
First, I wound the yarn in thirds. I wrapped the yarn around the back of each chair in increments of six(plus or minus one or a few). I kept the yarn going in the same order each time, but there's no rules.



Next, I dipped each third in the dye pot separetly for each color. Note: colors will not appear "right" if using a black pot. I will mix the dye in a clear bowl prior to putting it in the pot next time.




This is what I ended up with. Three different colors, albeit much darker that what I was hoping for.






Here you can see the color joins are a bit messy. The green did not run as much as I thought it would and the purple ran too much. I haven't rewound the yarn yet, so I have no idea what it looks like knit up.

I'll be doing this technique again, with some lessons learned.

Yesterday I picked up varying shades of pinks Kool Aid. I'm going to try to do some yellow, pink and orange variegated this time.