Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Spin, spin, spin

After a several month hiatus, the spindle found it's way back into my hands last Friday night. I hadn't been intentionally ignoring it, it's just that the whorl had broken off. I'm super scared that if I try to glue it back on, it'll be forever crooked. I decided to forge ahead, broken and all, and practice a bit.

A spindle full of the corriedale spun up without incident and I was feeling quite bored. The wildberry roving was just sitting there, staring at me. Calling out to me. "Touch me! I'm worth it!"

It sure was!
I'm sorry, but this picture can't do it any justice. Purple and blue with occasional streaks of magenta and green. And it spins up sooooo nicely. I'm hooked.

I ended up with approximately 144 yards that appears to be between a DK and worsted. It just needs to be set and then I'll see how it knits up.

Question: What would happen if one forgot to set the twist? Just wondering.

Now I'm on an adventure looking for a new spindle and some fun colored wool to buy. I'm having a very hard time deciding.

Lace

It seems that everyone is talking about it. I know I've been bitten. The problem is that I don't see myself wearing tons of shawls and stoles. I can count the occasions on one hand. So, I've been looking at alternatives, such as doilies and tableclothes. Yarn Over has quite a few that look really cool and I'd like to try them out.

And then there's the Hanging Vines Stole. Err, well, um... It's getting frogged. I got about a foot done and it hit me. There's no way I'd ever wear it as is. The striping action was just glaring at me and it made me twitch. Aahhh! Not to fear, the yarn will get used for something else and the pattern will definetly get knitted.

While we're on it, I joined the Summer of Lace knitalong today. What? It's not socks?!?